Accounting students at Wilkes University’s Jay S. Sidhu School of Business and Leadership will offer free tax assistance to the public through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program.
The service will be offered February 1, 8, 15, and 22 from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in room 105 on the first floor of Breiseth Hall, 137 South Franklin Street, Wilkes-Barre.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program offers free tax help to people with household income of less than $52,000 who file basic federal, state, and local tax returns. Anyone interested in the service should bring the following items to the VITA site:
- Photo Identification
- Valid social security cards for the taxpayer, spouse and dependents
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Form 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
- Other relevant information about income and expenses
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit
- Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider’s tax identifying number
Both spouses must be present for taxpayers who are married and will be filing joint returns.
For more information, please call Ann Marie Feldman 570-408-4710.