Wilkes University Holds Homecoming and Reunion Oct. 4-6
Contact: Vicki Mayk
Wilkes University will welcome more than 600 alumni and friends back to campus for the 2013 Homecoming weekend held Oct. 4-6. This year’s theme, “Colonel’s Collection,” plays on the nostalgia of times at Wilkes University by showcasing memorabilia and photos for display.
The weekend kicks off with the dedication of the $35 million Lawrence and Sally Cohen Science Center at 4 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 4. The public is invited to attend the event, which will culminate in self-guided tours of the building. On Saturday, Oct. 5, a student-led tour of the Cohen Science Center will be held to show the latest cutting-edge labs and equipment.
Special groups and class years observing their reunions during Homecoming weekend include alumni of the Sidhu School of Business; class years ending in 3s and 8s; the 1993 Football Team; A-List members; Alternative Spring Break participants; communications studies, pharmacy, political science, and psychology majors; the engineering class of ’83; resident assistants; and the men of Warner Hall from the 60s.
Additional alumni events include:
Friday, Oct. 4
- Pints with Professors—Alumni can share a few memories and catch up with their favorite professors over a pint. Communications Studies and Sidhu School of Business alumni and faculty will hold their reunion here, 5:30 p.m., Henry Student Center-Second Floor.
- “Twist & Stout” Downtown Bar Tour—Participants will sip and sample their way down South Main, stopping at downtown favorites Bart & Urby’s, Bottleneck’s and Rodano’s. The evening conclude the at Maer’s BBQ off the Square.
The tour departs at 8 p.m. from the lobby of the University Center on Main, 169 South Main Street.
Saturday, Oct. 5
- The Tailgate Tent—A pre-game tailgate party and an afternoon of Colonels football will include an all-you-can-enjoy menu of delicious food and drinks from alumni-owned Maer’s BBQ, 11 a.m., Ralston Athletic Complex.
- Football Game—The Wilkes University Colonels take on Lebanon Valley, 1 p.m., Schmidt Stadium at Ralston Athletic Complex. Before the Colonels take the field, members of the 1993 football team will be recognized for their achievements as Mid-America Conference champions. During halftime, alumni who were named to MAC All-Century Teams will be recognized.
- Reunion Celebration—Alumni can socialize at a tent party on the Fenner Quadrangle. A collection of photos, yearbooks, and other memorabilia will be on display, 4 p.m.
- Casino Night—Saturday’s activities will be capped with an evening of table games, food, drinks, music, dancing, and more. Games include blackjack, roulette, poker, and the wheel of chance, as well as the chance to win great prizes at the end of the night. The evening starts at 6 p.m. in the Henry Student Center Ballroom.
Sunday, Oct. 6
- Colonels vs. Cancer 5k Fun Run/Walk—Join Wilkes University’s colleges against cancer for this fun event. Proceeds from event benefit Relay for Life at Wilkes. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. in Kirby Park.
- Blue and Gold Brunch—Ancestral Colonel Awards will be presented to: Thomas E. Rokita ’68, Wilkes trustee Melanie Maslow Lumia and former director of alumni relations Mirko Widenhorn. Colonel Blazers will be presented to Greg Barrouk ’02, Lawrence Cohen ’57, Christopher Leicht, Jill Saporito ’71, College of Science and Engineering Dean Dale Bruns, Yuwei Zhang and Dr. Fang Lei. The brunch is held at 10:30 a.m. in the Henry Student Center Ballroom.
Published On: 9/16/2013