Wilkes University Accounting Students Offer Free Income Tax Assistance
Accounting students at Wilkes University’s Jay S. Sidhu School of Business and Leadership will offer free tax assistance to the public through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program.
The service will be offered Feb. 11, 25, and March 18 by appointment only from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in room 134 on the first floor of UCOM, 169 South Main Street, Wilkes-Barre (corner of South Main Street and West South Street).
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program offers free tax help to people with household income of less than $54,000 who file basic federal, state, and local tax returns. Anyone interested in the service should bring the following items to the VITA site:
• Photo Identification
• Valid social security cards for the taxpayer, spouse and dependents
• Wage and earning statements (Form W-2) from all employers
• Interest and dividend statements from banks (Form 1099)
• A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
• Other relevant information about income and expenses
• Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit
• Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider’s tax
• Health care coverage ( Form 1095) or health care exemption
Both spouses must be present for taxpayers who are married and will be filing joint returns.
If there is a question regarding inclement weather and the school being closed, please call (570) 408-7669. An automated message will inform you of the closure.
Income Tax assistance is by appointment only. Please call (570) 408-5614 and leave a message with your name and phone number. You will be contacted to schedule an appointment.
For general information, please call Ann Marie Feldmeth at (570) 408-4710.
[Photo caption: Accounting students at Wilkes University’s Jay S. Sidhu School of Business and Leadership will offer free tax assistance to the public through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program. From left to right: Shelby Trumbo, Trudi Casier, Maura Anistranski, and Daniel O'Steen.]