All employees with access to confidential information are responsible for its security. Confidential information must only be accessed and utilized for University purposes. Confidential information includes, but is not limited to, the following types of information:
- Employee, student and/or applicant personal information
- Computer processes, programs and codes
- Financial information
- University manuals, practices, techniques and/or materials
- Marketing, research and/or development projects, plans or strategies
- Vendor and/or supplier records
- Any other information concerning the University business or operating practices
Employees may not access, copy, transmit, release, remove or misuse confidential information from the University for any personal or non-University purposes. Misuse includes but is not limited to:
- Accessing information that is not directly related to the employee's specific job functions
- Disclosing, discussing and/or providing confidential information to another employee or any other individual who does not have authorized access to the data
- Leaving confidential information (including information on computer screens) unattended
- Sharing passwords and/or displaying passwords in evident places
- Negligent or improper handling, storage or disposal of confidential data, including electronically stored and/or transmitted data, printed documents and reports containing confidential information
Employees are required to sign a confidentiality agreement upon hire and annually during performance evaluations as a condition of employment. Employees with concerns about any breach of this policy must contact their supervisor, department head or the Human Resources Department. Violation of this policy may result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment and legal action, as applicable under local, state and/or federal law.
Employee Confidentiality Agreement
As a Wilkes University employee, I understand that as part of my job responsibilities, I may have access to confidential, financial, proprietary or personal information regarding faculty, employees, students, applicants, parents, alumni, vendors, suppliers and the University in general.
I hereby affirm that I will not in any way access, use, remove, disclose, copy, release, sell, loan, alter or destroy any confidential information except as required within the scope of my official University job responsibilities. As an employee, I must comply with applicable local, state and federal laws and University policies. I will protect the security of all confidential information.
I understand that I am responsible for my misuse or unauthorized disclosure of confidential information, including the failure to safeguard my passwords or devices. My obligations under this Agreement are effective as of this day and will continue after my employment with Wilkes University ends. I acknowledge that I have received, read and understand Wilkes University’s Confidentiality policy. I am aware that any violation of the Confidentiality policy will result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment and legal action according to the appropriate local, state and federal laws.
Policy No. 726 Effective Date: 3/1/2012 Revision Date: