Vacation time off with pay is available to eligible employees to provide opportunities for rest, relaxation, and personal pursuits. Vacation time is earned in number of hours that increment one time each month, as designated by Wilkes University. Employees in the following employment classification(s) are eligible to earn and use vacation time as described in this policy:
- Full-time employees (35 hours per week for a minimum of 9 months)
- Part-time employees (Minimum 1,000 work hours for 12 months)
- Introductory employees
The amount of paid vacation time employees receive each year increases with eligible service as shown in the following schedule:
FULL TIME EMPLOYEES (35 hours per week for 12 Months)
Introductory Employee (Hired after June 1 of the fiscal year):
* During the first incomplete (less than 12 months) fiscal year of eligible service the new employee is entitled to accrue vacation time at a rate of 5.84 hours or 6.67 hours per month. New employees whose first day of work falls on a day other than the first day of that month will be eligible to accrue vacation time the first day of following month.
* During the first complete (full 12 months) fiscal year of eligible service the employee is entitled to accrue (10) vacation days, accrued monthly at the rate of 5.84 hours or 6.67 hours per month.
* During the 2nd through the 5th fiscal years of eligible service the employee is entitled to accrue (15) vacation days each year, accrued monthly at the rate of 8.75 hours or 10.00 hours per month.
* After completing 5 full fiscal years of eligible service the employee is entitled to accrue (20) vacation days each year, accrued monthly at the rate of 11.67 hours or 13.33 hours per month.
* After 10 complete fiscal years of eligible service the employee is entitled to accrue (l) one
additional vacation day each year to a maximum of (30) days.
PART-TIME EMPLOYEES (Minimum 1,000 work hours for 12 months)
Employees who work an average of 20 hours/week for 12 months and have a minimum 1,000 recorded work hours in the prior fiscal year will be eligible for vacation leave in accordance with the following schedule:
After 1st full fiscal year of service = 1 week (20 hours) vacation
After 2nd through 5th full fiscal years of service = 2 weeks (40 hours) vacation
After 6th full fiscal year of service = 3 weeks (60 hours) vacation
In the event that available vacation time is not used by the end of the fiscal year, employees may carry a maximum of 10 days (40 hours) unused time forward to the next fiscal year.
*Upon termination of employment, part-time employees will be paid up to a maximum of 10 days (40 hours) unused vacation time that have been earned through the last full month worked, if the employee provides at least a two-week written advance notice.
Effective Date: 6/1/2004 Revision Date: 06/2016