Madrid & Barcelona: Wilkes University Study Abroad 2018
See the world. Find yourself. Earn credits. Not a bad deal if you ask us.
Spend the month of July in Madrid!
Six credits transferred to Wilkes of general core courses, international airfare, transfers, trip from Madrid to Barcelona, four nights in Barcelona, one month stay in student residence single room and meals.
Why Study In Madrid & Barcelona?
Studying abroad is about more than going to a different country for school. It is about getting to know yourself by experiencing other cultures, customs and traditions. Studying abroad is about leaving your comfort zone to grow as a student, a professional and, most importantly, an individual.
Academic Program in Spain Includes:
- Tuition: 6 credits transferable to Wilkes University (Major, minor, general education, electives). Choose from courses in English (History 101, Anthropology 101, History of Spain, or Spanish Art, Music, and Folklore) or courses in Spanish (Language, Conversation, Art, Culture, History, Medical Spanish, Business Spanish, and Literature)
- International airfare: Round trip from New York to Madrid
- Deluxe motorcoach to Barcelona
- Airport transfers
- Lodging and meals:
- Madrid: Single room with private bathroom in student residence with 3 meals daily (except Sunday evening).
- Barcelona: accommodations for 4 nights and buffet breakfast
- Health insurance
Location: Madrid, Spain (with 3 days in Barcelona, Spain)
Course Name/Program number: Forspro (Foreign Study Program) in Madrid, Spain
Academic Credits: 6 credit in 4 weeks (Madrid) or 9 credits in 6 weeks (Costa del sol, Madrid)
Pre-requisites: This trip has no restrictions regarding pre-requisites. We encourage students to take classes within their comfort level, but to expect to be challenged by the curriculum in Madrid. Students of any major can attend. There is a minimum GPA requirement of 2.5.
Spanish Classes Offered In Madrid:
- Spanish 102 (Elementary Spanish 2)
- Spanish 203 (Intermediate Spanish 1)
- Spanish 204 (Intermediate Spanish 2)
- Conversation of Current Events
- Business Spanish
- Grammar and Composition
- Culture and Civilization of Spain
- Spanish Conversation General Topics
- Advanced Conversation General Topics
- Introduction to Hispanic Literature
- Culture of Latin America
Courses in English language:
- Music and Traditions of Spain
- History of Spain
- Contemporary Spain
- History of Spain: this course, in English, counts as Wilkes History 101 for your General Education Requirement
The full four week schedule can be found here
This trip offers a maximum of 6 credits in various classes covering Spanish language, culture, conversation, art, and literature. These courses can be used for credit within the Wilkes University Spanish Program or towards History 101 for the General Education Requirement.
Additional Resources: Example Courses/Schedule
The trip cost of $4,900 (plus starting application fee of $200) includes:
- A single room
- 3 meals daily (except Sunday evenings)
- Airfare from New York to Madrid and from Paris to New York
- Tuition for up to 6 credits
- Airport transfers
- Health and accident insurance
- Any day trips required for individual courses
Personal costs will vary by student. Personal costs must be evaluated by the students based on their plans and spending habits.
Students can apply online www.foreignstudy.com or sending it by mail. Students can obtain an application with Dr. Bianco or print it. Applications are accepted until May 1st. We encourage students to apply as soon as possible, as applications fees are progressive. If submitted in either form by December 31, 2017, the deposit fee is of $200.
Find the Funding: Scholarship
In Madrid: Colegio Mayor Mara, Paseo de Juan XXIII, 15, Madrid 28040 Ph: 34-91-553-6603
The main residence and the residence where participants are housed and take classes is the Colegio Mayor Mara. Some of the dorm facilities are: Laundry room, dining room, snack bar, tennis court, pool, auditorium, and basketball court. Some of the classrooms and common areas have air-conditioning, however, the rooms do not.
Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are provided daily except Sunday. Lunch is not provided
on the one day tours that depart in the morning and return in the afternoon. Breakfast
consists of coffee, juice, toasts –butter and jelly, bread, cold cuts, pastries and
cereals. Lunch consists of a first dish (soup, pasta, legumes, or paella) a main course
(chicken, fish, meat) with a side dish of salads or fresh vegetables, bread, and fruit/dessert.
Seconds are allowed. Dinner is similar to lunch.
Bedding and towels are provided. Students need to bring a beach towel.
The Mara is situated in the Moncloa section of Madrid's Ciudad Universitaria. Public transportation is within 100 meters from the residence. The residence is approximately 30 minute walking distance from the center of Madrid.