Earn your Superintendent’s Letter of Eligibility in a convenient hybrid format.
Our PDE approved post-graduate program is designed for K-12 administrators seeking certification to excel in a superintendent role. The program emphasizes leadership skills while providing theoretical knowledge and practical instruction. PDE required field hours and an internship to experience the role of the superintendent are also required.
Upon successful completion of the program, in addition to meeting PDE requirements, students will be recommended for the Letter of Eligibility.
- technology leadership,
- human resource management and labor relations,
- professional development and supervision,
- advanced educational law,
- strategic planning,
- special education administration,
- school finance and facilities,
- curriculum, instruction, and assessment.
- eight, 3-credit courses offered in a blended format (with field work totaling 180 hours),
- 6-credits of a 180-hour internship at the superintendent’s level.
Classes are conducted in a convenient hybrid format, blending virtual face-to-face sessions with online learning. Students can also choose to complete the hybrid program by taking on-campus class sessions with the online coursework at the Wilkes campus or at the Wallenpaupack Area School District, 2552 Route 6 in Hawley.
The Wilkes Ed.D.
Admissions requirements for the Superintendent’s Letter of Eligibility:
- Master’s degree in education or related field from an accredited institution
- Current PA administrative or supervisory certificate
- A completed online application
- Two completed recommendation forms
- Official transcripts
- Photocopies of specific Pennsylvania certifications or professional licenses
- Application fee of $35
Pennsylvania Department of Education required field hours are noted after course titles. All courses in the following course sequence have been approved for Act 45 credit.
- ED 623 Educational Technology Leadership (field hours)
- ED 625 Professional Development and Supervision (field hours)
- ED 627 Advanced Issues in Educational Law
- ED 628 Human Resource Development and Labor Negotiations
- ED 629 Strategic Planning and Thinking
- ED 650 Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment (field hours)
- ED 652 Special Education Administration (field hours)
- ED 654 School Finance and Facilities Administration
- ED 658 Advanced Studies in School District Leadership (90-hour internship)
- ED 659 Superintendent Internship (90-hour internship)
Prior Graduate Coursework
Prior graduate-level coursework may be applied from an accredited institution to the
superintendent certification program. This coursework must be equivalent to courses
in the program and be completed within the last six years with a grade of 3.0 or better.
Official transcripts must be provided.
Graduate credits taken in Wilkes Graduate Education programs must also be reviewed using this form; an official Wilkes transcript is not needed. Pass/fail grades are not transferable unless the "pass" can be substantiated in writing as a grade by the former institution. You may be asked to provide a course description and course syllabus to make a final determination of course equivalency. A review form to evaluate previous graduate coursework is available upon request.
- Tuition for the 2016-17 academic year is $624 per credit plus applicable fees.
For more information, contact:
(800) WILKES-U Ext. 5535