Wilkes University has established a cooperative employee/management Safety Committee in order to provide a work place free from predictable and controllable hazards. The goal of the committee is to adapt a proactive approach in identifying and eliminating potential work related accidents and injuries. This goal will be achieved through the committee’s efforts to raise employee awareness and making recommendations to reduce or eliminate hazards in the workplace.
Wilkes University’s Environmental Health and Safety Committee and its Subcommittee(s) are composed of representatives from across the university community. The committee’s function is to:
- Serve as a resource for various departments on campus, assisting them in the identification and correction of unsafe conditions or practices in their areas.
- Serve as the coordinating body in monitoring compliance with safety regulations.
- Conduct inspections of all University buildings once annually.
- Recommend to the University's Executive-Level Officers improvements to help ensure the campus environment is as free of risk as possible, thereby reducing the number of illnesses and injuries.
- Recommend to the University's Executive-Level Officers expenditures to maintain a safe campus environment.