Sterling Hall is a single-sex living environment (male only) for both first year students and upperclassman.
The capacity of this building is 23 beds with a support staff of one RA. Singles, doubles, and triples are offered as housing options.
What sets Sterling Hall apart from the other mansions that line South River Street
is the ornate ironwork that frames its porch -- very N'Awlens in style. Another feature, the cupola that rises above Sterling's third floor, offers
a great view of Wilkes-Barre.
The house has two lounges on the first floor -- one for studying and one for just hanging out by the pool table.
The pool table itself has a long history at the University; it has been moving around campus since the late '70s. Students refinished its felt top and pockets in 2002.
The home was donated to Wilkes in 1950, by Gilbert McClintock who, at the same time, also donated his family's home. Sterling has since remained a residence hall, allowing generations of Wilkes students to pass under its intricate ironwork to get to their residence hall.
The architecture of the building is an example of Italiante style, which was popular in the mid-Victorian period.